Most people tend to overlook the health of their scalp. The main reason is an assumption that your scalp is not as sensitive as other parts of your skin, like the face. This leaves you to pick up any conditioners or shampoo that benefit your hair and overlook its effects on your scalp. However, there is more to your scalp than just the area where your hair grows. A healthy scalp equals healthy and beautiful hair. The scalp houses approximately 1.5 lac hair follicles, sweat glands, and sebaceous glands, making its health critical. Some scalp concerns range from dandruff, hair loss, oiliness, sensitivity, itching, flaking to redness, and progressive thinning of hair. And most people do the basic minimum to take care of their skin, from cleansing, and exfoliating to moisturizing.
While some of these concerns can be taken care by a scalp expert in a salon, if nothing changes, it is best to consult a dermatologist. Here is a guide on scalp care and available treatments for your scalp.
What is Scalp Care and Why it’s Important
Scalp care is a strategy for keeping your scalp healthy. It involves proper washing and moisturizing with the appropriate products to keep it moisturized.
A proper scalp care routine ensures you do not use harsh products containing sulfates or alcohol that dry your scalp by stripping them of oils. Other benefits of scalp care include:
- Eradicates Itching, Irritation, and Flaking: The right scalp treatments soothe your skin and relieve the symptoms of irritation.
- Regulate Oil production: Caring for your scalp keeps it nourished and hydrated, regulating its ability to produce oils.
- Supports Healthy Hair Growth: Cleansing and massaging your scalp regularly promotes increased blood flow, delivering nutrients to the hair follicles. This supports healthy and strong hair strands.
- Remove Dead Cells and Unclog Hair Follicles: Scalp care and treatment help reset your sebum levels, eliminating clogged oils.
Tips for a Healthy Scalp
Your scalp has more sebaceous glands and reduced barrier function, requiring regular care. To keep it healthy and hydrated, follow the following tips:
- Use Sulfate-free Moisturizing Shampoo: This shampoo is gentle and does not strip off the natural oils on your head.
- Wash Your Hair 2 to 3 Times a Week: Regular washing helps you clean off any build-up oils and open your skin pores for a breather,
- Avoid Using Hot Water: Hot water draws moisture from your skin and hair, leaving it dry. Only use warm water.
- Introduce a Scalp Serum: This helps with nourishing and protecting your scalp. Use the serum after every wash.
- Massage Your Scalp: Using your fingertips, gently massage your scalp with a serum. This stimulates blood flow and promotes hair growth.
Available Scalp Treatment Options
Scalp treatment options vary depending on your conditions. Whether scalp concerns such as psoriasis, itchiness, dryness, or dandruff, your dermatologist guides you on the most effective approach. Some of these treatments include:
Oral therapy consists of taking medicine orally. Your doctor may advise you to use the following medications for scalp conditions:
- Hormone replacement therapy to correct scalp conditions (hair loss) resulting from hormonal imbalance
- SSRI medication help in treating infections that lead to patches of hair loss
- Anti-inflammatory antibiotics or oral steroids are suitable if your scalp is itchy
- Vitamin and Omega-3 supplements to prevent loss of hair
This treatment approach involves applying medications to the affected scalp area. Your dermatologist will administer Corticosteroids if you have psoriasis. Other topical treatments may include Minoxidil, which treats weak follicles.
Some scalp conditions are due to controllable factors like regular care. Some of the modifications your physician will recommend include:
- Using Scalp Scrub: This helps you exfoliate your scalp, removing dead cells and dandruff.
- Taking Probiotics: Probiotic improves your skin’s microbiome, promoting a healthy scalp.
Start Your Journey to a Healthy Scalp Today!
Caring for your scalp improves your health, providing you with peace of mind and boosting your confidence. Use the above fundamental guidelines to keep your scalp moisturized, nourished, and clean. At Radiant Dermatology, we have trained a group of professionals to help you with all your health-related issues. Our experts advise you on the best behaviors, care routines, and treatment options to consider for a healthy scalp. Fill out the form below to contact us and get started with your treatment journey.